How To Fix Cracked Ping Pong Ball
Last modified: October 6, 2023
How to Fix a Cracked Ping Pong Ball
Cracking a ping pong ball is a common occurrence, especially if you play the sport frequently or if the ball has been used for a long time. However, this doesn’t mean you have to throw the ball away and buy a new one. In fact, fixing a cracked ping pong ball is quite simple and can save you money. In this article, we will discuss a few methods to fix a cracked ping pong ball and get it back in shape.
Method 1: Using Adhesive
If the crack in your ping pong ball is small, you can easily fix it using adhesive. Here’s how:
- Clean the ball: Before applying any adhesive, make sure the cracked area is clean and free from dirt or dust. Use a damp cloth to gently wipe the surface of the ball.
- Apply adhesive: Take a small amount of strong adhesive, such as super glue, and apply it directly onto the crack. Be careful not to use too much adhesive, as it can make the ball uneven and affect its bounce.
- Press and hold: Once the adhesive is applied, press the cracked areas together firmly and hold them in place for a few minutes to allow the adhesive to bond.
- Let it dry: After holding the ball for a few minutes, leave it undisturbed for a couple of hours to let the adhesive fully dry and secure the crack.
- Test the ball: Once the adhesive is completely dry, test the ball by gently pressing on the repaired area. If it feels sturdy and intact, your ping pong ball is ready to be used again.
Method 2: Using Heat
If the crack in your ping pong ball is larger or more severe, using heat to fix it can be an effective method. Follow these steps:
- Make a small incision: Using a sharp knife or scissors, carefully make a small incision on each end of the crack. This will help prevent the crack from spreading further.
- Heat the crack: Using a hairdryer or heat gun set to a medium temperature, blow hot air onto the cracked area for about 30 seconds. Move the heat source around to evenly distribute the heat.
- Squeeze the crack: While the plastic is still warm, gently squeeze the cracked area together to close the gap. Be careful not to burn yourself in the process.
- Cool down: After squeezing the crack, hold the ball under cold running water or place it in a bowl of ice water to cool the plastic and solidify the repair.
- Inspect and test the ball: Once the ball has cooled down, inspect the repaired area. If the crack is closed and the ball feels sturdy, you can start using it again.
Method 3: Using Tape
If you don’t have adhesive or prefer a temporary fix, using tape can be a quick solution. Here’s how:
- Clean the ball: Wipe the cracked area of the ball with a damp cloth to ensure it’s clean and dry.
- Cut a piece of tape: Take a piece of adhesive tape and cut it to an appropriate size that can cover the crack.
- Apply the tape: Carefully place the tape over the crack and press it firmly onto the surface of the ball, ensuring that it adheres properly.
- Smooth out any wrinkles: Smooth out any wrinkles or air bubbles in the tape to ensure a secure bond.
While using tape may slightly affect the ball’s performance, it can be a temporary fix until you can obtain a new one.
A cracked ping pong ball doesn’t have to end up in the trash. With the right methods and materials, you can easily fix the crack and prolong the lifespan of the ball. Whether you choose to use adhesive, heat, or tape, be sure to follow the steps carefully to ensure a successful repair. So, the next time your ping pong ball gets a crack, don’t fret – you now have the knowledge to fix it!